Who We Are
Founded in 1982, Cantemus (Latin for “Let us sing”) is
a chorus of singers from across the North Shore
of Massachusetts and beyond.
Our repertoire dates from 1500 to today and covers a wide spectrum of styles, including ethnic music, serious settings of profound poetry, arrangements of popular songs, rarely performed works, and widely acknowledged masterworks for chorus. We aspire to an ever-growing artistic and technical mastery, and singers are auditioned to be admitted to, and remain in, the chorus.
that which comes nearest
to expressing the
inexpressible is music.”
As a cooperative group we foster mutual respect in our shared enjoyment of singing. There is a keen appreciation for the freedom and high spirits that are part of our musical experience. In preparing for performance, it is important to us that we function within a structure that allows for growth, mastery and refinement. Adventurous and varied programming, drawing from the best of chamber chorus repertoire, features either a cappella performances or piano/organ accompaniment. On occasion, we will engage instrumentalists, ensembles or small orchestras.
Maintaining our commitment to provide exceptional choral music to the North Shore community, Cantemus performs two (or three) programs of music during the year at two or more locations. As the schedule allows, we may also sponsor community outreach programs, and we occasionally perform concerts as part of an organization’s or church’s programming.
Cantemus continues to develop sources of funding beyond donations by the singers in order to meet and expand our mission. Singer-volunteers fill essential administrative and support roles, however we encourage broader community volunteer support.
Cantemus Core Values
- Musical artistry and excellence - We are committed to musical excellence, a varied, unique, and challenging repertoire, and to memorable performances for our audiences.
- Growth as musicians, both individually and as a group - Choral skills, capabilities, and experiences are varied. We are committed to improving the various levels of choral skills in our group and supporting each other as we do so.
- Discipline and preparation, both individually and as a group - We are committed as individuals, to spending the necessary practice and preparation time in advance of rehearsals, and to utilize all of the training tools provided. In rehearsal, we are committed to concentration and focus.
- Sense of community within the chorus - We are committed to creating a warm, supportive, caring environment that extends beyond music, fosters a welcoming atmosphere, and offers an opportunity to serve in the life of the chorus.
- Good stewardship of the Cantemus name and resources - As the current Cantemus membership and board, we are mindful of the legacy of our organization since its founding, and are committed to preserve its assets.
- Education and outreach - We are committed to bring our music to an underserved and more diverse audience and to inspire a future generation of singers.
REHEARSALS: Cantemus rehearses Tuesdays, from 7:30 until 10:00, at Miles River Middle School, Route 1A, Hamilton.
Cantemus is supported in part by the Massachusetts Cultural Council, a state agency, and by grants from local agencies which are supported by the MCC.
Cantemus is a member of the Greater Boston Choral Consortium, a cooperative association of diverse choral groups in Boston and the surrounding areas.
Cantemus is also a member of Chorus America, the national choral music organization.
We are a non-profit organization. We welcome diversity and do not discriminate on the basis of age, sex, race, creed or national origin.